Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Modern Marketer Must Add Value Each and Every Week


One of the most famous statements to come out of a presidential election came from the Clinton campaign in 1992 when the economy was floundering and Clinton needed to focus the electorate on his promise of a better economy.  The statement was, "It's the economy, Stupid".   In Marketing, we could say, "It's execution, Stupid".  As a Global Marketing Manager, I deal with execution and planning on a daily basis.  It is perfectly clear to me that 80% of the planning that goes on adds little or no value to the organization while 90% of execution does add value.  Let's look at this concept of adding value from the CMO perspective.  When the CMO looks back on the week, is she able to honestly state that she added value?  What might 'value' look like for the Chief Marketing Office of a firm?  As a senior level marketing manager allow me to propose a few ideas or questions the CMO may ask themselves at the end of each week to help determine if he added value for his firm and his team:


  • Did I roll up my sleeves and help or guide my team to execute this week?

  • Did I nurture a positive and innovative culture in my team through my actions?

  • Did I analyze the results, draw conclusions, make adjustments if needed and report meaningful KPIs to the executive team?

  • Did I strive to participate in meetings where I offered value to the group and decline to participate just to feel important?

  • Did I offer insightful and positive feedback and knowledge that helped my team and my colleagues do their own jobs better?

  • Did I learn something new this week?

If the CMO can answer 'yes' to these questions, then he may conclude that he added value.  These questions may not be your specific questions, but the point is that each person should be able to identify how they are adding value to their organization at  the end of each week.  We all have weeks where some are more productive than others, but it's important to maintain a perspective with an honest evaluation at the end of the week.

The good news for marketers is that 'value' is directly related to execution and can be directly measured with modern marketing automation tools like Eloqua, Marketo, salesforce.com and others. Naturally, it helps to have some S.M.A.R.T. (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic, timely)  goals to guide your measurement and keep you aligned with your organizational strategy.

So, did you add value to your organization this past week?