Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Secret to a Great Webinar

I held a live webinar today.  1285 registered and 704 attended.  Not too bad if I do say so myself.  This was one of our best attended webinars in the history of the company.  For our little company, this is a lot of people. The attendance rate was 55% which is much better than the typical 34% attendance rate of the average webinar.

As you may be picking up here, yes, I am quite pleased with myself.  However, I know you don't care one way or another how I am feeling about myself right now.  You are probably wondering what is the secret to a great webinar.  I define a great webinar as one where the attendance rate is over 50% at the live broadcast and there is a total attendance of more than 500 people.

The secret is actually quite simple and it is as plain as the nose on your face: 

"Give the audience something they can use."

They can't use features and benefits, information (bragging) about your company, subjective banter, information about your newest product, or anything else about your offering.  You think I'm wrong?  Go ahead and test it.  Run one webinar about one of your products, product line, or service.  Then run one offering something they can use.  I guarantee you'll see a huge difference in registrations and attendance.

They can use education about something they find difficult or challenging in their daily lives or vocations.  They can use training that improves some task they do on a regular basis. They can use anything that offers them value.  If the audience can answer the age old question WIIFM (what's in it for me?) with a positive answer related to your webinar, then you're well on your way to a great webinar.  Naturally, there is a lot more to a successful execution, but the success starts with choosing a topic that the audience can use.

As I said, it's really pretty simple.